Pin installation

D

deraltefritz

Dear cuemakers,

I would like to experiment with different combinations of length, diameter, taper and weight on the butt to figure out what type of cue suits me best. That would include exotic parameters, such as very thin 25mm end diameter and/or 40" long butts. Not really off the shelf type of cues that I could simply test drive in a shop.
(Please don't try to convince me that the standard range of cue parameters suffices. It might very well be so, but I just need to try for myself and get a feeling for these parameters, including the very odd combinations :eek:)

As having all these different combinations (I'm thinking about at least half a dozen different butts) made by a professional would cost quite a bit of money, I would like to figure out on my own what suits me best before going to a cuemaker for the final cue.

I have access to a big lathe at work and lots of round maple timber, so I can create different tapers, diameters, lengths etc. quite easily. I have Uni-Loc Radial pins in SS and aluminium, and of course a matching shaft.

What I do not have is a tap, and I would rather spend the money on more maple to experiment instead, so here's my question:
From an experimental point of view, is it absolutely necessary to use a tap to install a pin into the butt? Or would I get a reasonably tight and straight fit if I simply drilled a pilot hole with diameter somewhere in between the inner and outer diameter of the pin and then screwed the pin in with force? Like you do normal screws into wood...

Obviously not professional, and likely not long-lasting. I'm OK with that as it's just for experimentation.
It should however allow me to shoot a couple of hundred shots without breaking apart, and be reasonably straight after screwing on the shaft to provide good connection between butt and shaft.

Can anyone confirm that this could work out?

Thanks in advance!