Poor man's G43 shooter kit

G

GunKraut

Guest
Recently I built a K43 shooter from a barreled action and parts I found in my bins. I left the gas system original with its late model drilled gas cylinder.

When I took it to the WEGC shoot last week, it was totally over powered and Armen who had the bench next to me got pelted with hot high velocity shells ricocheting off the roof above the benches.

Since I'm short on money due to the upcoming property tax payment, I decided to build my own gas restrictor which was to be concealed inside the gas block, allowing me to keep all original gas system parts in place.

All I needed for fabricating the piece parts was a hobby lathe, Dremel tool, a short steel rod and a roll pin. I machined the gas restrictor jet from steel rod to look like a threadless screw, drilled a tiny hole along its center axis and cross slotted the "screw head". Found a roll pin large enough to just fit into the gas block while still being a bit sloppy around the jet. The roll pin is externally tapered, fitting together well with the tapered end of the original gas piston. Using the lathe, I cut a short ferrule off the roll pin.

I assembled gas piston, jet and ferrule and screwed the assembly into the gas block. After hand tightening the gas piston until the jet bottomed out at the back wall of the gas block, I measured the gap between the gas block and the gas piston shoulder with a feeler gauge. Using lathe and Dremel, I trimmed the ferrule by this amount. This needs to be done diligently as you don't want the jet to break through the back of the gas block while tightening the gas piston. The ferrule/roll pin serves as a spring thanks to its slot and taper, capable of compensating for minor assembly tolerance.

I started out with a 0.05" jet orifice which wouldn't always cycle reliably. During fine tuning at the range, I drilled out the orifice to 0.06" and now it piles brass in one spot about 8 feet away. From the outside, the rifle does not reveal any sign of a shooter kit and no original parts needed to be modified. I took the gas system apart after about 60 rounds and couldn't find any signs of fouling or clogging. I guess the gas passages are small enough to maintain high gas velocity, preventing the build-up of crud.

Attached Images
DSC00144.JPG (78.1 KB)
DSC00142.JPG (92.9 KB)
DSC00145.JPG (89.2 KB)
DSC00146.JPG (69.8 KB)
 
   
   
   
Top